The Curriculum Corner | Kinder Corner | The Curriculum Corner 456 | Curriculum Corner Family | Research Corner

“I Can” Common Core Second Grade

by Jill & Cathy on August 31, 2012

Reproduction of these posters or statements with the intent to sell is prohibited.  These were created to help busy teachers and are meant to be free.  Thank you for understanding!

Our very own “I Can” standards for Common Core.  “I Can” standards are the common core standards presented in a kid friendly format.  Use these to help students and parents understand the new common core second grade standards.  (Great to help teachers understand too!)  They are presented as a checklist to help students self-assess their progress.  Also makes it clear to parents what skills may need extra home support.

****We have currently pulled the Spanish I Can standards until we can get some errors corrected.  So sorry for the inconvenience!  We will post them again as soon as we can make sure they are fixed!

Borderless Design…

Reading          Writing          Language          Speaking & Listening          Math

Reading (Spanish)     Writing (Spanish)      Language (Spanish)

Speaking & Listening (Spanish)      Math (Spanish)

Clip-Art and Border – great for a classroom poster!…

Reading            Writing            Language           Speaking & Listening           Math

Reading (Spanish)     Writing (Spanish)      Language (Spanish)

Speaking & Listening (Spanish)      Math (Spanish)

Find the full checklists for all grades here…

{ 41 comments… read them below or add one }

Kathy September 1, 2012 at 9:53 am

Thanks so much, can’t wait for the rest! Keep up the good work!

Gayle James February 20, 2013 at 8:51 am

When I originally printed mine off, I made a diagonal line inside the box. When a child had mastered the skill, I wrote the date in the box. Each child had a bright yellow folder in their desk that said”I CAN” on the outside of the folder. On the inside of the folder, I wrote” Class” on the left hand pocket and on the right hand pocket I wrote “Self”. I had Special Ed students in my class and I wanted them to feel successful as well as the regular ed students. At the beginning of the year, the students chose several things that they COULD do along with things that were goals. I took lined paper that had a large box on the top for a picture and then the words “I Can” on the lines. The students could then write and / or draw their I Can statements.

Jessica September 4, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I absolutely LOVE everything about this website! I graduated from IUPUI with my Elem. Ed. degree in December and as I anxiously await a classroom to call my own I find myself going to your website to create binders and activity folders for the day I finally get my own class! :) Thanks for taking the time to put this fabulous site together!

Mary January 15, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Do you have the I Can statements and posters for 3rd grade?

Jill & Cathy January 16, 2013 at 5:15 pm
Terri January 21, 2013 at 3:30 pm

These will be so helpful to both me and my students. Thanks so much for sharing them!

Jan February 2, 2013 at 8:18 am

These are so student friendly. It’s an awesome resource for someone like myself who is just starting the Core. Thanks!

Tamlynmck February 17, 2013 at 11:37 am

Thanks SO much. I love that our community shares! You’ve done a fabulous job and I appreciate the time you’ve spent.

Magda April 7, 2013 at 7:59 am

Thank you so very much!These are great!

Christel April 18, 2013 at 9:55 am

Do you have third grade common core with the borders?

Jill & Cathy April 18, 2013 at 7:26 pm
Robin April 30, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I see the check list for teachers…but no the I can’s for other grades…I need first??

Jill & Cathy April 30, 2013 at 8:00 pm
Debby May 24, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Thank you for all the effort you’ve put into creating these “I Can” statements. Our building wants to use them as a communication with parents. Which leads me to ask…. “Do you have them written in Spanish by any chance?” If no, do you have any plans in the future to translate them into Spanish? Thank you!!! Your website is a great resource!!!

Jill & Cathy June 5, 2013 at 10:25 am

Hi Debby! We have this in the works for the 1st through 3rd grade standards right now and should have them ready by the end of the summer, if not sooner. 4th – 6th may take a little longer because they are a little more in depth, but we have a very enthusiastic translator, so who knows?! Keep checking back!

Kristin June 9, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Thank you so much for this site! It is wonderful! I am wondering if you can help me locate a scope and sequence for the reading portion of the common core standards. I don’t know if I am missing it or if there is one at this point.

Jill & Cathy June 11, 2013 at 5:10 pm

We follow a scope and sequence that our district created. Does your district have one of these? It’s not currently in our plans, but maybe in the future??? :)

VERONICA ORTEGA June 19, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I WOULD LOVE THESE IN SPANISH! CAN’T WAIT UNTIL YOU HAVE THEM TRANSLATED.

Jill & Cathy July 3, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Hi Veronica! We have a friend working on translating the primary “I Can” standards right now! Keep checking back!

Jean Mozell-Hollingsworth June 20, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Awesome site. Love the kid friendly standards. Thanks for sharing

Katrina July 9, 2013 at 1:51 am

Anyone having trouble opening the links? When I click on the link, it will open a new tab, but appears blank. I have tried 2 different browsers.

Jill & Cathy July 10, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Not sure why that is happening, Katrina. We know the links work because we’ve checked them. Have you tried clicking the refresh button once the blank screen comes up? I know I had to do that at school to get the links to work (but not at home).

Lou Ann Nicholas July 29, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Thanks for sharing. I love the posters – they will make posting the statements so much easier.

Rachel Gomez August 19, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Hello Jill & Kathy!
I am a dual language teacher and my partner is wondering when the translated 2nd grade common core I can’s will be ready? We have been in session since the middle of July and I keeping cheching back but I still don’t see them.
Thanks, Rachel

Jill & Cathy August 20, 2013 at 10:53 am

Hi Rachel! Sorry, but we’re still waiting on our contact to get those finished. She is a working mom and is very busy too. We have been following up and will hopefully have some grade levels up by the end of the year. Sorry!

Rachel Gomez August 21, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Thanks quite o.k. My partner will probably take on that challenge of translating them on her own. We were just thinking of maybe using them as progress reports and adding a meets or does not meet in the square to send home to parents. I just wanted to Thank You for such a great website. I am the dual language (English Teacher) so I don’t have a problem finding good resources like your website, but she has the hardest time finding Spanish materials and resources. Again, Thank You for all your hard work!

Jen August 23, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Thank you SO MUCH! I’ve told many people about your website because it’s AWESOME!

Monica August 29, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I just discovered your page through a friend at school. I’m reading the comments and discovered they will soon be in Spanish…no I’m even MORE excited. Is the translation complete?

Jill & Cathy August 30, 2013 at 9:45 am

Hi Monica! She’s working on first grade right now. Second grade will be coming! We will make sure to get the word out when they are finished. Check Pinterest and our Facebook page for the announcement when they are ready! We’re excited too!

Kathy Bellott September 14, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Do you have Science I Can Standards?

Jill & Cathy September 17, 2013 at 8:51 am

Hi Kathy! It’s on our list of things to get accomplished. We will use the Next Generation Science Standards since they haven’t been developed by corestandards.org (yet).

Jan Gagnon September 28, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Thank you so much for all your hard work on the “I Can”!! I love them.

angelica October 20, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Hi,
First of all, I wanted to thank you for posting this great CCSS help for everyone, especially, making the effort to translate it into Spanish. There are hundreds of Dual language elementary school programs that benefit from having the I can statements in Spanish. However, as a friendly suggestion: the translations need proof reading from someone fluent in Spanish. There are several errors (from a web translator?) that can easily be corrected. Since it is not an editable file, there is not much I could do.
I hope you do not take this in a negative manner, I am sure you have tried you best.

Jill & Cathy October 21, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Hi Angelica! Thanks for your comments. We didn’t use a web translator, but a colleague who is a native English speaker. We are going to temporarily pull the Spanish versions until the mistakes can be fixed. So sorry! They will be up as soon as we can get them corrected.

Lynsey December 10, 2013 at 11:13 am

I love the checklist with the border, however when it printed there were some scrambled letters at the top and with the web address at the bottom. Any ideas why this might be happening or if the file is possibly corrupt? I’d love to use these if I can get them printed correctly.

Jill & Cathy January 5, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Hi! Your computer or printer is putting that on when you print. Our files do not have that – check your computer settings. We hope this helps!

Roberta January 15, 2014 at 7:49 pm

OH I LOVE IT! This is just what I was going to try and create. I don’t have to now. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

lorri April 15, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Hi, Am anxiously awaiting science “I can” statements.
Any place I can go for ideas and activities?

Jill & Cathy April 18, 2014 at 11:09 am

Hi Lorri! We actually are just getting started on the NGSS. We will begin with first grade and then move up. Hoping to have all of these posted by the end of the summer at the latest…hopefully sooner!

Michelle April 23, 2014 at 7:49 am

Do you know when you will have the statements in Spanish?

Thanks.

Michelle

Jill & Cathy April 30, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Hi Michelle! We are currently working on updating all of our I Can statements to incorporate recent changes and to better organize and streamline them for our followers. We are also planning to create new colorful and trendy posters for classrooms! Looking for it all to be done by the end of June – including the Spanish translations! We are very excited!