The Curriculum Corner | Kinder Corner | The Curriculum Corner 456 | Curriculum Corner Family | Research Corner

“I Can” Common Core First Grade

by Jill & Cathy on November 9, 2012

Reproduction of these posters or statements with the intent to sell is prohibited.  These were created to help busy teachers and are meant to be free.  Thank you for understanding!

THESE POSTERS HAVE BEEN RECENTLY UPDATED TO INCLUDE THE MOST RECENT COMMON CORE STANDARDS.  YOU WILL FIND THE NEWEST VERSION OF THE FIRST GRADE I CAN STATEMENTS HERE:  First Grade I Can Statements

Our very own “I Can” standards for Common Core.  “I Can” standards are the common core standards presented in a kid friendly format.  Use these to help students and parents understand the new common core first grade standards.  (Great to help teachers understand too!)  They are presented as a checklist to help students self-assess their progress.  Also makes it clear to parents what skills may need extra home support.

****We have currently pulled the Spanish I Can standards until we can get some errors corrected.  So sorry for the inconvenience!  We will post them again as soon as we can make sure they are fixed!

Find the full checklists for all grades here…  (THESE WILL BE UPDATED DURING THE SUMMER OF 2014)

{ 45 comments… read them below or add one }

Deb November 17, 2012 at 7:18 am

These are the best ones I have seen! The statement about punctuation needs to be fixed.

Jill & Cathy November 17, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Thank you! We fixed the sentence :)

leslie January 15, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Oh my gosh!! Your work is so helpful and well planned. I will be forever grateful for your (in)site! :)

Terri January 29, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Love, love, love these. Thanks for sharing

Emily February 15, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Where are the social studies and science common core standards?

Jill & Cathy February 17, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Hi Emily. Thanks for your inquiry about science and social studies common core standards. As of right now we are not familiar with common core standards for content areas. Can you send us a link to where you found these? THANKS! (We are aware that there is a current “movement” in that direction, but haven’t seen official CCSS.)

Katie March 21, 2013 at 10:12 am

Wow, these are awesome!! Thanks so much for sharing!

Loislyn Hibbert March 28, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Thank you so much. My students thank you too. These ares the best.

Anusha March 29, 2013 at 10:32 am

What a great resource! The kids will know clearly know what and why they are learning with this “I can common core”

Katie Kephart April 16, 2013 at 1:41 pm

These are AWESOME! We can use these in the student data binders so that they can keep track of what they know too!

Candy Duff April 23, 2013 at 9:24 am

Do you happen to have these wonderful I Can Posters for third grade? If so, could you please send me a link?

Jill & Cathy April 24, 2013 at 7:18 am

Here is the link for all grade levels… http://www.thecurriculumcorner.com/2012/12/03/i-can-common-core-standards-k-5/
6th grade will be added this summer!

Jayne May 1, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you for provided a tool to make our jobs more manageable! This is amazing!

Jayne May 1, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you for providing a tool to make our jobs more manageable. This is amazing!

Beth May 17, 2013 at 7:04 am

Thank you for putting the Common Core standards in an easy to understand format. As a homeschooling mom, I am working to make sure that my first grader is meeting all of the Common Core requirements. It’s reassuring to have this list to refer to, and to be able to check off boxes as we go, and see where we need to improve or work harder.

janine June 12, 2013 at 12:35 am

Super!!! Do you have this layout for science & social studies?

Jill & Cathy June 19, 2013 at 10:37 am

Hi Janine! We don’t currently have this for science and social studies, but we’re looking into it and will be getting to work on the science standards this summer!

TRAMELLA June 20, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Thanks so very much for sharing! This is really helpful as I transition from teaching fifth grade to first grade. Your hardwork is greatly appreciated! May God richly bless you for blessing the educators’ community.

Loislyn June 24, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Hi,
Thank you making CCCS so friendly and EASY for me to understand. Can’t wait for social studies and science. Have a great summer.

sylvia June 25, 2013 at 3:05 pm

I am looking for resources to start implementing common core and these posters are great!

Candy July 1, 2013 at 11:01 am

Looking over the 1st grade reading nonfiction, the last 2 bullets (history & Science steps)pertain to 2nd grade ccs. 1st grade needs the last nonfiction added: connection between two individuals, events, ideas or pieces of information. Can you change this? THanks.

Jill & Cathy July 3, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Thank you, Candy! We have fixed the standards. We appreciate your help!

Megan Lamb July 22, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Thank you so much! These are so helpful!! :)

Donna July 30, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Thank you for making my job easier. These are wonderful!!!

Colleen August 17, 2013 at 10:38 am

Fantastic! Thank you so much! They are perfect for first graders to understand. Thank you f sharing them. :) Happy Teaching!

Jocelyn August 17, 2013 at 3:02 pm

You are a lifesaver! I was lamenting writing these myself just because there are so many other things to do in the classroom, but these are perfect! Thank you!!!

Sara September 3, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Can you send these to me in a word document so that I can translate them for my Non-English speaking parents? Love these for my kids, parents, and myself! Thank you.

Jill & Cathy September 5, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Hi Sarah! We actually have the first grade I Cans being translated right now. They are supposed to be completed by September 6th (tomorrow). We will get them posted this weekend. The rest of the grades are coming in sequence as our translator can get them finished. Hope this helps! We are very excited about having them available!

Sara September 5, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Yay!!! Thank you!. I love how nice these are laid out and was trying to cut and paste but they were looking so sloppy.

Esmeralda September 12, 2013 at 9:44 am

Hi! Do you know when you’ll have the”Ican” for 2nd grade in Spanish ready?
Thanks!

Jill & Cathy September 17, 2013 at 8:54 am

I Esmerelda! Our translator is working on 2nd grade now! As soon as she completes them we will get them posted!

Jocelyn Rivera September 12, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Thanks! This is just what I was looking for!

Dawn September 19, 2013 at 9:49 am

This is a FANTASTIC artifact!!!!! I love all of the I CAN checklists!!! THANK YOU!!!!!

catalina November 15, 2013 at 12:08 pm

What happened to the Spanish resources for Common Core ??????

Jill & Cathy November 15, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Hi Catalina. We apologize, but we pulled the Spanish versions of the I Can standards because we were informed they contained some mistakes in the translation. There is someone working on the fixes right now. Keep checking back. We hope to have something posted soon. Thanks!

Christa Hall November 27, 2013 at 11:13 am

Thanks so much! These are the best learning targets that I have seen thus far! Keep up the great work.

Letty January 10, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Thank you sooo much for sharing!

Lana March 10, 2014 at 9:39 am

Thank you so much for all of your hard work. This is incredible.

Patricia March 23, 2014 at 1:11 am

Thanks so much! Your hard work has made mine a little easier, and helps me see and understand common core a little better.

Chris April 27, 2014 at 4:20 pm

This is wonderful. Any chance the Spanish Can Do’s will be put on the website anytime soon?

Jill & Cathy April 30, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Hi Chris and thanks for your inquiry! We are currently updating and streamlining our I Can statements and have someone who is working to translate this new version. All of it should be up by June along with some fun new posters for your classroom! Stay tuned! We are excited!

Jessica Moore May 19, 2014 at 8:14 am

I have loved the hard work that you put into these I can statements and referenced them weekly through out the year. I wish you still had the old version available on the website as I have lost the file on my computer, and I really do not like the new version that is available for download.

Jill & Cathy May 31, 2014 at 10:04 am

Hi, Jessica! What did you like better about the old version? Please let us know.

Terry Cotton June 17, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Hi! Thank you for your hard work in creating these posters for us. Any updates on the Spanish versions for science & social studies?

Jill & Cathy June 30, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Hi Terry! We are still waiting to receive the translations for kindergarten thru 2nd grade. The person doing those translations is also a teacher and had an extended school year due to the weather in January. She is trying to finish up her year and get them to us. We hope to hear from her in the next few days, then we will work to get them onto posters. We are just as excited as you to get those out, so keep checking back! THANKS!