The Curriculum Corner | Kinder Corner | The Curriculum Corner 456 | Curriculum Corner Family | Research Corner

“I Can” Common Core Standards K – 6

by Jill & Cathy on December 3, 2012

Reproduction of these posters or statements with the intent to sell is prohibited.  These were created to help busy teachers and are meant to be free.  Thank you for understanding!

We are working on updating all of our “I Can” statements to fit the newest version of the Common Core Standards.  This task will be complete by the end of the summer 2014, hopefully sooner!  As they are updated, we will add the new links below.

Here we have connected all of the links for our “I Can” standards.  We hope this makes it easier to find what you need!

UPDATED Kindergarten I Can Statements

UPDATED First Grade I Can Statements

UPDATED Second Grade I Can Statements

Third Grade

You will find the “I Can” Standards for grades 4 through 6 here:  “I Can” Standards

{ 60 comments… read them below or add one }

Meghan Landry January 28, 2013 at 8:52 am

Will the information for 6th grade ever be published? This is a great site but I teach 6th grade. I would love to have access to that information.

Jill & Cathy January 28, 2013 at 4:46 pm
Whitney June 22, 2013 at 8:20 am

Love your “I Can…” posters. I teach 5/6 multi-age, so I am excited to see the 6th grade resources. Can idea when it will be up and running?

Jill & Cathy July 3, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Working on them today, Whitney and planning to have the Language Arts “I Can” for sixth grade done at the end of our day (hopefully!!!). Will continue to work on these and get them done by the end of July. They are pretty time-consuming, but worth it!

SHANNON February 13, 2013 at 4:30 pm

what about for High School

Jill & Cathy February 13, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Sorry, Shannon – as of right now, we don’t have any plans to create the I Can checklists for high school. Our knowledge is in the elementary grades, we don’t feel like we are qualified to create the checklists for high school.

Brenda May 18, 2014 at 3:38 pm

I would also be interested in a HS math version.

Jill & Cathy May 31, 2014 at 10:06 am

Hi, Brenda! We wish we could help. Unfortunately, we are not qualified to create the high school versions.

Pauline Edwards October 31, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Shannon,
I am also searching for 9-12th grade “kid-friendly” common core standards. I just want my students to be able to understand what I’m asking for in an easy to read format. Maybe it’s time to create out own? Let me know if you find something that fits our needs. THanks so much!

Raechelle February 16, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Can you tell me what state you are based out of? I know that states are unpacking the CCSS differently, so I am just curious.

Thanks!

Jill & Cathy February 17, 2013 at 10:00 am

Hi, Raechelle! We are in Indiana. In second grade, we are just beginning to integrate the Common Core this year.

Jacqueline March 13, 2013 at 9:36 am

A colleague of mine just shared this with me. Wow! I really appreciate your time and willingness to share these. You have just made my work on standards based report cards so much easier. Thank you!

Sarah Betts March 15, 2013 at 10:13 am

Thanks for sharing this!I teach in Surrey, British Columbia and I have been working on putting our prescribed learning outcomes into “I Can” statements so that my class can do more self assessment. I first heard of this from my daughter who spent a year teaching in England. I plan to spend some time over the summer putting our PLOs (which are like your common core standards into kid friendly language. this has sure helped!

Meg March 18, 2013 at 2:26 pm

We are homeschooling and this list has just made my life easier!!!!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

Susan March 30, 2013 at 9:29 am

great idea! … I like the positive “I Can!”
thanks so much for sharing … true teachers :)

Holly May 1, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Thank you so much!! I have been looking for something like this for quite some time…this is perfect.

Arcema May 16, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Thank you for these resources! You saved us a lot of time!
Are you going to have the sixth grade I can posters done? Our Elementary School goes up to sixth grade.

Jill & Cathy May 20, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Hi! You will find the checklists on http://www.thecurriculumcorner456.com later this summer. Thanks!

Virginia May 29, 2013 at 1:04 am

Thank you so much for making this so easy. Thank you also for making this free. I appreciate the time you spent doing this.

Kelly May 31, 2013 at 7:12 am

Do you happen to have for pre-k?

Jill & Cathy June 5, 2013 at 10:13 am

Hi Kelly. That’s actually on our summer “to do” list. :)

susan June 9, 2013 at 6:19 pm

I love your “I Can” statements. I am in Alabama. Our state added some additional standards. Do you have addendums with the additional standards? Thanks for sharing!

Jill & Cathy June 11, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Susan,

Thanks so much for your inquiry about Alabama standards. We certainly hope this is something we can eventually get to, but right now our focus is on our new sites http://www.thecurriculumcorner456.com and http://www.theresearchcorner.com. Is there any way that you could e-mail us the Alabama additions and we can take a look at them? Sorry we can’t give you something more definitive at this point. Thanks!

Jill and Cathy

Sarah Williams June 12, 2013 at 12:13 am

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this! I am a first year teacher and this is SO helpful to me! Thanks for making this available to all of us!

Chrisitna L. June 21, 2013 at 4:23 am

I am looking for “I can” for ELD 3rd and 4th grade students any idea where I might find them?

Jill & Cathy July 3, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Hi Christina! We aren’t familiar with ELD, but if you are talking about Spanish speaking students (ELL or ESL in our schools), then we have a friend/translator working on them now. We don’t know what her time frame is at this point because she works full time, but keep checking back!

Jamilah August 27, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I would love a copy of “I can” in Spanish. I will keep checking in, but please email me if they come in soon.
Thank you so much for this wonderful and imp0rtant work!
Jamilah

Jill & Cathy August 30, 2013 at 9:44 am

Hi Jamilah! She’s working on them! First grade will hopefully be ready soon!

debbie September 18, 2013 at 3:20 pm

I would love second grade in Spanish if you have it!!!

NyssaJay June 26, 2013 at 1:37 am

Hey! I loved this idea, but I teach for middle school grades. I saw in the comments that other people were looking for higher grade levels as well. I created similar handouts for 7th and 8th grade ELA Common Core standards.

You can download them here!

Jill & Cathy June 27, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this resource! We are sure our followers will appreciate it!

Lori June 27, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Thank you so much for making life so much easier. The both of you are so creative and just awesome!! Hats off to y’all.

Madeline Scudder July 8, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Thank you for organizing and typing out the “I Can” Statements. I appreciate your hard work. It definitely makes my workload easier.

Kristi Jones July 18, 2013 at 11:08 am

I need Grade 4, specifically. Thanks:)

Jill & Cathy July 18, 2013 at 12:02 pm
Sue July 29, 2013 at 11:49 am

I LOVE your I can statements! Thank you so much!

Chris July 30, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Love this! In the past I made booklets of our state standards for parents. This is so much more reader friendly and appealing. Thank you very much! I plan to not only use this for students, but also give to parents at either our Open House for the first Parent/Teacher Conferences.

Joni August 4, 2013 at 4:55 pm

HI there,
Theses look great. Will you have anything for 7th and 8th grades? Our school has Preschool through 8th grade. Please let me know.
Thanks Joni

Jill & Cathy August 6, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Hi Joni and thanks for you comment. Unfortunately we have no current plans to create “I Can” statements for 7th and 8th grades. We do have the checklists for those grades, but our resources, as of now, only go up to 6th grade since we are elementary teachers. Good luck finding something! (And you never know…we MAY be able to do these someday! Never say never!)

Veronica August 5, 2013 at 11:44 pm

I would love the “I can” common core standards in Spanish. Any idea when they will be available?

Jill & Cathy August 6, 2013 at 2:36 pm

We have spoken to someone who is willing to do this for us, but she just started a new job, so we are unsure of her time frame. Hopefully we can have K-3 done before Christmas! Keep checking back! So sorry!

Courtney August 22, 2013 at 10:46 pm

You are amazing! I use the I can’s with my parents, my students, as student data trackers. At a parent meeting last year one of my parents asked if they can be available in Spanish, so I am SUPER excited you are doing so! THANK YOU FOR AN AWESOME RESOURCE!

hilary witts August 6, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Any plans for middle school?

Jill & Cathy August 10, 2013 at 11:17 am

Hi, Hilary! 6th grade is as high as we will go. As we are both elementary teachers, we don’t feel qualified to go any higher.

Andrea August 12, 2013 at 3:47 pm

This resource is amazing for classroom teachers! I teach elementary Physical Education and would LOVE a resource like this. Does anyone know if one exists?

Amy August 27, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Thank you!!!

Kelly September 12, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Hi!
These are great thank you so much! I was wondering if you have them in Spanish for Kindergarten??

Thank you!

Jill & Cathy September 17, 2013 at 8:53 am

Hi Kelly! They are coming! Our translator is working on the rest of the elementary grades for us. She has first grade done and will move to 2nd and kindergarten next!

Terry Whipple October 20, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Jill and Cathy, Thank you for sharing this great list. It is such a great help!

Angela October 28, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Thank you so much for posting these and sharing! Would you consider creating something similar for Science? I know all states may not be using the same standards, but I love the student-friendly standards! Thanks again!

Jill & Cathy November 12, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Hi Angela! We are hoping to use the Next Generation Science Standards to create some of these kid-friendly statements. Not sure when we will get to that task, but hopefully before the end of this school year! So much to do…so little time!

Terry November 11, 2013 at 12:49 am

I would like to look at some of the resources you offer but all I get are advertisements that pop up.

Jill & Cathy November 12, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Hi Terry. So sorry. The ads within the text that are underlined twice are actually not our resources. You will find our links appear in a different color and are underlined only once – typically just below a description. We apologize if the pop-ups are confusing. We are trying to find ways to keep the site up and running and advertisements like those are one way to do that. Thanks for your understanding!

Christina November 15, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Hello there,

I swear I saw somewhere on your site that there is a spanish version of the info you provide…but then on your blog, it looks like the translation is not done yet. Was I dreaming, or have you translated part of your resources somewhere? You have done some awesome work here!!

Thanks,
Christina

Jill & Cathy November 18, 2013 at 8:08 am

Hi Christina! No you aren’t dreaming. We had some I Can standards translated and posted for kindergarten and first grade, but then we were informed there were some mistakes in the translation. We have someone working on them and will get them posted as soon as we can. We also are working on getting more of our resources translated, but that may take some time. Trying to keep up with everything on the site and teaching at the same time has been a struggle!

Sherry February 25, 2014 at 5:09 pm

I love this website :-) thanks for creating and sharing it all for free. I plan to use the posters for visuals in my classroom.

Selina July 16, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Thank you for this. It is exactly what we need to be able to explain to the kids. Much appreciated.

Jennifer July 22, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Hi Jill and Cathy,
I love your website and resources…you are an amazing team and friend to all educators to be so generous with your sharing.
I want to clarify that I can reproduce or share the pdf of your “I can” grade level resources with teachers in my school district here in Huntington Beach, CA. We have been looking for this type of resource to help us all (teachers, parents and most importantly, students) learn and better understand Common Core learning goals.
Jennifer Shepard

Jill & Cathy July 23, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Hi, Jennifer! You are always welcome to share our resources with your staff and families. We are in the process of updating our I Can Statements to match the newest standards. These will be complete by the end of July. Thank you for sharing!

Jill & Cathy September 24, 2013 at 5:18 pm