These Valentine money matching cards are designed for your primary classroom. Cut out the cards and use them for an engaging seasonal math center!
These money matching cards are another FREE teaching resource from The Curriculum Corner!
Download our Valentine money matching cards by clicking on the BOLD link at the bottom of this post.
We have created these money matching cards to give you a quick, easy and engaging seasonal math center.
It’s great to find free fun seasonal review centers to help keep your students more engaged during holiday times. These Valentine themed money matching cards are just that.
We want our kids to have fun during special times of celebration, but we may not always feel comfortable (or be allowed) to have all of our centers be of a crafty nature.
These cards are a great alternative to a Valentine craft, yet is still engaging because it is a game. Students can have fun while they practice counting money!
Set them up as a morning center in the next few weeks or even as a station for students to visit during a Valentine or friendship party.
This set contains 30 cards and is meant to be played as a matching game. There are two ways that you might choose for your students to play.
- Partners/small groups place all cards (or specific pairs you have chosen) face down on a table or floor. Each player takes a turn flipping two cards. If they choose two cards that are a match (coin card plus the matching value card), they get to keep the cards. If not they flip the cards back over. (You can determine if players get another chance if they make a match.)
- Players separate the cards into two groups – coin cards and value cards. They place the sets face down on a table or floor, but keep them separated. When a player has a turn he/she flips one card from each set to try to make a match. This version is a little faster.
When all matches have been made (or time is called) they count their cards to see who has won.
You could even use these cards in a “Go Heart” game!
- Cards are shuffled and dealt.
- Each player gets four or five cards to begin and the rest are placed in the center in a stack.
- When it is a player’s turn, he/she asks the other player if they have a specific money amount.
- After checking, the opponent will either give the first player the card with the amount he asked for or say “Go heart”.
- At which point the first player has to pick a card from the stack and see if they have any matches they can lay down.
You can download this free set of money matching cards here:
Be sure to bookmark this post so you can find it each year. If you’re not sure how, then take a look at our tutorial on How to Bookmark in Chrome.
Need more Valentine related materials for the next few weeks? Take a look at some of these: