Paragraph Writing – Main Idea & Details Focus

Teaching children how to write a good paragraph can be a difficult task.  We’ve created this set of lessons to help guide your teaching.

Main Idea Sorting Cards   A great starting point to help children understand how to categorize items under a main idea.  Print the cards in color and laminate.  We have three different recording pages – this will allow you to differentiate this center for students.  Recording Sheets:   Beginning           Intermediate          Advanced

Sorting Main Ideas & Details   Print in color and laminate these cards.  Students then sort the cards.  Each set includes a main idea and three details.  You may also choose to remove the main idea cards.  Students sort the cards and then must write their own main idea sentence.

All About Me   Students create an outline for a paragraph about themselves.

My Favorite Animal   Students create an outline for a paragraph about their favorite animal.

A Rainy Day   Students create an outline for a paragraph about what they would do on a rainy day.

Paragraph Page    Have students practice turning their outline into a paragraph on this lined page.

Classroom Freebies Manic MondayTeach Junkie Creative Ideas
Let’s Pay It Forward

• Read With Me ABC April 22, 2013, 9:38 am

Main Idea is one of those topics that my students always struggle with. I’m so thankful that you provided these free resources. Love them!

Read with Me ABC

• Nicole April 30, 2013, 9:17 pm

I love this idea! We do a lot of activities like this throughout the year, and the kids really love them!! Great work! :)

• Angela April 30, 2013, 9:48 pm

What a great resource! Thanks for sharing.

• Jillian July 26, 2013, 5:39 pm

I have scrolled through this website all day long! I am a reading teacher and I am downloading a ton of stuff! This site is an awesome resource for myself and it will be for other too!!!!
    Jill S

• Marilyn August 4, 2013, 9:51 pm

Thank you so very much for all the resources you make available.

• Joan Brown September 27, 2013, 9:16 am

Will you be creating any check lists for middle and high school?

• Jill & Cathy September 27, 2013, 9:20 am

Hi Joan! So sorry, but we are elementary school teachers and really want to stay focused on primary and intermediate grades. We did the 7th and 8th grade checklists as a special favor for a good friend, so we wanted to share those with our followers, but we don’t currently have any plans to do anything with high school common core.