This set of nature sentence mats will be an engaging literacy center for your classroom or home.
This is another free resource for teachers from The Curriculum Corner.
Give your readers scrambled sentence reading practice using these free resources with a nature theme!
These are perfect for Earth Day or any other time of year.
Our sentence mats have previously been a popular resource on The Kinder Corner. The original version contains simple, four and five word sentences with cute clip art.
We have received a few requests for a new version for older kids. One request came from a high school teacher working to help her children learn English.
So that this new set will be appropriate for many different students, you will find real photographs. If you are working with English Language Learners who are older, our hope is that they will find the photos more engaging and not so “babyish” as we have heard.
Our Photo Nature Sentence Mats
Within this free download you will find 16 boards. Each photo is used for two different sentences. The first is a simpler sentence. The second board is longer with more complex text.
The words for the mats will be found following each pair of photos. The words and boxes on the sentence mats are color coded for easy sorting.
If you plan on using both mats at once, you could go in and add a 1 or 2 on each set of words to help students sort the sentences.
As requested by many, these mats have a white background to help you conserve color ink.
How to Assemble Your Centers
- Print the sentence mats on card stock and laminate them.
- Print the square sentence cards and cut them apart.
- Put each set of word cards with the matching sentence mat into a large Ziploc baggie. (Another option is to put the word squares in an envelope and attach it to the back of the mat inside the big baggie.)
- We have matched the color of the square sentence cards to the box colors on the mats for easier sorting.
- To do this activity, students will place the word cards in the correct to make a sentence on the mat.
You can download this free literacy center here:
Looking for additional nature themed resources? Try these:
As with all of our resources, The Curriculum Corner creates these for free classroom use. Our products may not be sold. You may print and copy for your personal classroom use. These are also great for home school families!
You may not modify and resell in any form. Please let us know if you have any questions.