Math Problem Solving Strategy: Draw a Picture to Solve a Problem
This is another free resource for teachers from The Curriculum Corner.
Looking to help your students learn to draw a picture to solve a problem?
This math problem solving strategy can be practiced with this set of resources.
Math Problem Solving Strategies
This is one in a series of resources to help you focus on specific problem solving strategies in the classroom.
Within this download, we are offering you a range of word problems for practice.
Each page provided contains a single problem solving word problem.
Below each story problem you will find a set of four steps for students to follow when finding the answer.
This set will focus on the draw a picture strategy for math problem solving.
What are the 4 problem solving steps?
After carefully reading the problem, students will:
- Step 1: Circle the math words.
- Step 2: Ask yourself: Do I understand the problem?
- Step 3: Solve the problem using words and pictures below.
- Step 4: Share the answer along with explaining why the answer makes sense.
Draw a Picture to Solve a Problem Word Work Questions
The problems within this post help children to see how they can draw pictures when working on problem solving.
These problems are for first and second grade students.
Within this collection you will find two variations of each problem.
You will easily be able to create additional problems using the wording below as a base.
The problems include the following selections:
- Chicken and Cows – guess and check type problems
- Fruit Trees – multiple step simple addition and subtraction problems
- My Marbles – involves writing a simple fraction
- Art Box – simple subtraction
- Snowman – simple addition
- Cookies – multiple step problems
- Pillows & Buttons – simple multiplication (by 2, 5, 10)
- Chicken Nuggets – simple multiplication (by 2, 5, 10)
- Trading Cards – multiplication
- Flowers – multiplication
Extend the learning by encouraging your students to draw a picture and write an equation!
You can download this set of Draw a Picture to Solve a Problem pages here:
You might also be interested in the following free resources:
- Addition & Subtraction Word Problem Strategies
- Fall Problem Solving
- Winter Problem Solving
- Spring Problem Solving
- Summer Problem Solving
As with all of our resources, The Curriculum Corner creates these for free classroom use. Our products may not be sold. You may print and copy for your personal classroom use. These are also great for home school families!
You may not modify and resell in any form. Please let us know if you have any questions.