Math Problem Solving Strategy: Write a Number Sentence to Solve a Problem
This is another free resource for teachers from The Curriculum Corner.
Looking to help your students learn to write a number sentence to solve a problem?
This math problem solving strategy can be practiced with this set of resources.
Math Problem Solving Strategies
This is one in a series of resources to help you focus on specific problem solving strategies in the classroom.
Within this download, we are offering you a range of word problems for practice.
Each page provided contains a single problem solving word problem.
Below each story problem you will find a set of four steps for students to follow when finding the answer.
This set will focus on the write a number sentence strategy for math problem solving.
What are the 4 problem solving steps?
After carefully reading the problem, students will:
- Step 1: Circle the math words.
- Step 2: Ask yourself: Do I understand the problem?
- Step 3: Solve the problem using words and pictures below.
- Step 4: Share the answer along with explaining why the answer makes sense.
Write a Number Sentence to Solve a Problem Word Work Questions
The problems within this post are meant to help students solve problems by writing a number sentence. These problems are designed to be used with first, second or third grade math students.
Within this collection you will find two variations of each problem.
You will easily be able to create additional problems using the wording below as a base.
The problems include the following selections:
- Cookies – easy addition
- Coin Collection – addition with regrouping
- Jewelry – addition with regrouping
- Making Cards – easy subtraction
- Beads for Bracelets – subtraction without regrouping
- Toy Cards – subtraction with regrouping
- Hot Chocolate – easy multiplication
- Pencils – one-digit times two-digit multiplication
- Legos – two-digit times two-digit multiplication
You can download this set of Write a Number Sentence to Solve a Problem here:
You might also be interested in the following problem solving resources:
- Drawing Pictures to Solve Problems
- Addition & Subtraction Word Problem Strategies
- Fall Problem Solving
- Winter Problem Solving
- Spring Problem Solving
- Summer Problem Solving
As with all of our resources, The Curriculum Corner creates these for free classroom use. Our products may not be sold. You may print and copy for your personal classroom use. These are also great for home school families!
Remember, you may not modify and resell in any form. Please let us know if you have any questions.