This volcano text structure sort is designed to help students identify the different text structures.
You can create a center for your students using this volcano text structure sort.
Students will learn more about volcanoes while also practicing identifying text structures.
This is another free resource for teachers and homeschool families from The Curriculum Corner.
The text structures
- Time Order / Sequence: This text structure presents events or actions in the order in which they occur.
- Cause and Effect: This text structure explains how one event or action leads to another event or action.
- Compare and Contrast: This text structure highlights the similarities and differences between two or more subjects or ideas.
- Problem and Solution: This text structure identifies a problem and presents one or more solutions to solve the problem.
- Descriptive: This text structure provides a detailed description of a person, place, object, or event.
Why do we want students to practice identifying text structures?
It is helpful for students to know the five text structures. Having this knowledge can help them to better understand and analyze different types of texts. When they can recognize the structure of a text, students can more easily identify the author’s purpose, main ideas, and supporting details. This can improve their reading comprehension.
This volcano text structure sort
This center activity focuses on volcanoes. I created it while we were studying Pompeii and Ancient Rome. I thought it would be a good way to weave some science into our literacy centers.
There are five passages that are written using different text structures.
You will also find five cards that contain the name of each text structure.
Students worked together to look at the passages and identify the text structures.
While working, I emphasized that it was important to match the cards and then go back and double check their answers. Sometimes one answer would seem to fit and then children changed their minds.
I printed this center on bright card stock and then laminated the cards so they would be durable.
You can download this free center by clicking on the green apples below: